- Loyola Law School, Los Angeles (J.D.)
- University of Southern California (B.A., magna cum laude)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
Awards & Recognition
Best Lawyers in America
The Legal 500
Shaun Crosner is a partner in Pasich LLP’s Manhattan Beach office. Shaun represents insureds in all aspects of insurance recovery and has served as lead counsel in a variety of insurance coverage lawsuits, arbitrations, and appeals in state and federal courts throughout the country. He has helped clients recover hundreds of millions of dollars from their insurers. Shaun has been listed in the Best Lawyers in America for his work in insurance law, recognized in The Legal 500 for his work in the insurance recovery space, and honored as a Southern California Super Lawyer in the field of insurance coverage. He has also been recognized by Benchmark Litigation, the Daily Journal, and other publications for his work on behalf of corporate insureds.
Shaun maintains an active insurance recovery litigation and arbitration practice and has served as lead counsel in in insurance coverage matters throughout California and in Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, and North Carolina. Shaun also routinely advises clients regarding risk management issues and pre-litigation disputes with their insurers.
Shaun focuses his practice on complex insurance coverage disputes concerning employment practices liability insurance, commercial general liability insurance, and large property damage, business interruption, and theft losses. His experience also includes disputes involving cyber insurance, directors and officers’ liability insurance, errors and omissions liability insurance, homeowners insurance, media liability insurance, product recall insurance, and title insurance. Shaun also has litigated insurance broker malpractice actions on behalf of insureds.
Shaun has helped insured employers obtain significant recoveries from their employment practices liability insurers, including in connection with disputes concerning insurance coverage for wage and hour litigation and other employment-related class action claims. Shaun secured a notable win in the California Court of Appeal’s first published decision concerning insurance coverage for underlying employee class action lawsuits alleging violations of the California Labor Code, the Private Attorneys General Act, and other state labor laws. Shaun has extensive experience representing insured employers in similar matters, and his clients include restaurants, retailers, and companies involved in distribution, staffing, property management, transportation, and other service-based industries. Shaun also has helped employers obtain insurance coverage for claims and lawsuits alleging breach of employment contract, discrimination, harassment, and wrongful termination.
In addition, Shaun has handled numerous claims on behalf of corporate insureds seeking coverage under their commercial general liability insurance policies. He has helped his clients secure insurance coverage for a wide range of underlying claims and lawsuits concerning advertising liabilities; bodily injuries; commercial disparagement; construction defects and property damage; infringement of copyright and other intellectual property; libel and slander; and products liabilities.
In addition to his work on liability insurance matters, Shaun has extensive experience counseling corporate insureds and litigating over substantial property damage and business interruption claims. He has helped insureds obtain coverage for damage and losses sustained as a result of fires, floods, hurricanes, rainstorms, windstorms, and other natural disasters. He also has extensive experience assisting clients with the pursuit of insurance coverage for financial losses associated with cyber attacks, marine and cargo losses, product recalls, and thefts.
A frequent author and speaker, Shaun has presented and written on insurance law and related topics on more than 75 occasions. Shaun has spoken and presented at programs sponsored by the American Bar Association, the Association of Corporate Counsel, the Beverly Hills Bar Association, the California Society of Certified Public Accountants, the Los Angeles County Bar Association, the Seminar Group, and the Sports Lawyers Association, among others. His articles have been featured in various publications and trade journals, including Business Insurance Magazine, CFO Magazine, the Daily Journal, Entertainment & Sports Lawyer, Insurance Journal, Law360, Lexology, Los Angeles Lawyer, the New York Law Journal, Professional Sports and the Law, and the Sports Business Journal. Shaun also is a co-author of the New Appleman Sports and Entertainment Insurance Law & Practice Guide, a book published by LexisNexis.
PUBLICATIONS AND SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
Below is a representative sampling of Shaun’s recent publications and speaking engagements:
- “The Art of Negotiating with Insurers,” Association of Corporate Counsel, November 30, 2022
- “Coverage Ruling Confirms Policy Ambiguities Favor Insureds,” Law360, October 27, 2022
- “The Role of Insurance Coverage in Complex Construction Disputes and Litigation,” Associated General Contractors of California, March 8, 2022
- “Alternative Dispute Resolution and COVID-19 Insurance Disputes,” COVID-19 Virtual Insurance Litigation Summit, July 24, 2020
- “Bad Faith Conduct, Managing Agent Decisions Justify Punitive Damages,” Los Angeles Daily Journal, July 31, 2019
- “When Seeking a Defense, Insureds Should Not Overlook the Potential Significance of Facts Outside the Complaint,” Lexology, April 25, 2019
- “Those Multi-Million Dollar Employment Law Verdicts: What's Causing Them; How to Prevent Them; and What Do You Mean There Might Be Coverage for Punitive Damages?,” 2018 Institute for Corporate Counsel, Los Angeles County Bar Association, December 5, 2018
- “Getting the Most Out of Your Liability Insurance Policies,” Association of Corporate Counsel Conference, October 9, 2018
- “Liability Insurance Policies May Cover PAGA Lawsuits,” Law360, August 6, 2018
- “Unreported Claims Do Not Always Jeopardize Coverage,” Law360, March 16, 2018
- “Securing and Maximizing Insurance Coverage for ‘Wage and Hour’ and Other Employment-Related Claims,” Hospitality Law Conference, January 11, 2018
- “What Insurers Cover: Contingent Business Interruption Coverage and Wind/Flood Allocations Can Help a Business Maximize Reimbursement for Hurricane-Related Losses,” CFO Magazine, November 6, 2017
- “Insurance Policies and Breach of Contract Exclusions,” Los Angeles Daily Journal, August 11, 2017
- “Equitable Estoppel May Limit Ability to Enforce Policy Conditions,” Los Angeles Daily Journal, September 15, 2016
- “Insured Plaintiffs May Be Entitled to Defense from Their Liability Insurers,” Los Angeles Daily Journal, June 24, 2016
- “Complex Business Interruption Claims Following a Natural Disaster,” California Society of Certified Public Accountants Roundtable, February 24, 2016
- “Litigating Insurance Issues and Bad Faith Claims in the Construction Industry: Bad Faith and Extra Contractual Claims,” The Seminar Group Conference, January 29, 2016
- “Policies Might Actually Cover Wage and Hour Lawsuits,” Los Angeles Daily Journal, September 28, 2015
- “10 Things You Don’t Know About Insurance That Can Hurt You,” Association of Corporate Counsel Southern California Roundtable, June 25, 2014
- “Wrap Up Insurance Challenges for Coverage Attorneys from Implementation Through Completed Operations,” American Bar Association Coverage Litigation Committee CLE Seminar, March 5, 2014