Insurance Coverage for Cyber Liabilities and Losses
Our lawyers have helped clients navigate cyber breaches and recover substantial sums from their insurers for cyber-related liabilities and losses. The firm’s lawyers have extensive experience pursuing insurance coverage for business e-mail compromise schemes, cyber crimes, data breaches, fraudulent e-mails, invoice manipulation schemes, phishing and whaling attacks, ransomware attacks, privacy and statutory liability, and technology E&O disputes.
As thought leaders on cyber insurance, our lawyers include a Faculty Member of the Global Cyber Institute and a Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP-US). Our lawyers speak on cyber insurance issues to CFOs, CISOs, in-house counsel, insurance brokers, judges, law enforcement, and risk managers, and write numerous articles on diverse cyber and privacy issues such as the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), the Illinois Biometric Privacy Act (BIPA), and Iranian cyber threats and the “war” exclusion.
- Representation of a furniture company in connection with coverage following invoice manipulations;
- Representation of a high-tech manufacturer in connection with coverage following a whaling attack;
- Representation of a health care provider in connection with coverage following a phishing scheme;
- Representation of a sports technology company in connection with coverage following class action lawsuits and regulatory investigations asserting, among other things, release of sensitive user data;
- Representation of a utility in connection with coverage for business interruption and data recovery issues following a ransomware attack; and
- Advising a financial services company in connection with coverage for business interruption and network security issues in relation to vulnerabilities arising from the coronavirus and employees working from home.
Representative Press, Publications, and Speaking Engagements:
- “Defining Cyber Threats,” Business Law Today (July 7, 2020)
- “Demystifying Cyber Threats,” Insurance Research Letter (June 2020)
- Speaker, “The Impact of COVID-19 on Cyber Insurance,” Global Cyber Institute/West LegalEd Center (April 28, 2020)
- “COVID-19 Cybersecurity and Insurance Coverage,” New York Law Journal (April 20, 2020)
- The Cyber Wire CaveatCW Podcast, Episode No. 17 (Feb. 26, 2020) (cyberinsurance, privacy statutes, and ransomware)
- “Insurance Trends to Watch in 2020,” Insurance Research Letter (February 2020)
- Speaker, “The Ins and Outs of Cybersecurity Insurance,” Global Cyber Institute (Jan. 16, 2020);
- “Iran’s Cyber Threats Are a Reminder to Review Your Cyber Insurance Coverage,” Lexology (Jan. 13, 2020);
- Quoted in “Attorney: Scrutinize terms of insurance policies as California Privacy Law comes into force,” Inside Cybersecurity (Jan. 2, 2020);
- “Three Insurance Coverage Cases to Monitor on the Eve of the California Consumer Privacy Act,” Lexology (Dec. 22, 2019);
- Speaker, “Arbitrating Cyberinsurance Disputes,” New York City Bar Association, Arbitration Committee (Dec. 18, 2019);
- Quoted in “The Case for Cyber Insurance,” Security Week (Dec. 10, 2019);
- “Cyber Insurance for Critical Infrastructure and Debate About War,” IIoT World (Nov. 5, 2019);
- “Cybersecurity Insurance for Law Firms,” Transnational Dispute Management (TDM) (May 1, 2019) (Re-printed in Lexology, Oct. 11, 2019); and
- “Arbitrating Cyber Coverage Disputes,” American Bar Association (Mar. 13, 2019).