Shaun H. Crosner is a partner in Pasich LLP’s Manhattan Beach office and has been recognized as a Southern California Super Lawyer in the field of insurance recovery. Shaun represents insureds in all aspects of insurance recovery and has helped clients recover hundreds of millions of dollars from their insurers and insurance brokers. He routinely advises clients regarding risk management issues and pre-litigation disputes with their insurers. Shaun also maintains an active insurance recovery litigation practice and has served as lead counsel in a variety of insurance coverage lawsuits and arbitrations.
Shaun focuses his practice on complex insurance coverage disputes concerning employment practices liability insurance, commercial general liability insurance, and large property damage, business interruption, and theft losses. His experience also includes litigating disputes involving directors and officers’ liability insurance, errors and omissions liability insurance, homeowners insurance, media liability insurance, and title insurance. Shaun also has litigated insurance broker malpractice actions on behalf of insureds.
Shaun has helped insured employers obtain significant recoveries from their employment practices liability insurers, most notably in connection with disputes concerning insurance coverage for wage and hour litigation and other employment-related class action claims. Shaun currently leads the representation of an insured employer in multimillion-dollar litigation concerning insurance coverage for a series of employee class action lawsuits alleging violations of the California Labor Code and other state labor laws. Shaun has represented numerous other employers in similar matters, including restaurants, retailers, and companies involved in distribution, staffing, property management, transportation, and other service-based industries. Shaun also has helped employers obtain insurance coverage for claims and lawsuits alleging breach of employment contract, discrimination, harassment, and wrongful termination.
Shaun also has handled numerous claims on behalf of corporate insureds seeking coverage under their commercial general liability insurance policies. He has helped his clients secure insurance coverage for a wide range of underlying claims and lawsuits concerning advertising liabilities; bodily injuries; commercial disparagement; construction defects and property damage; infringement of copyright and other intellectual property; libel and slander; and products liabilities. Shaun’s considerable experience in this area includes his current representation of a pet food manufacturer in high-stakes insurance recovery litigation in Connecticut concerning coverage for underlying false advertising and commercial disparagement claims. He also currently serves as lead counsel for an apparel company in an arbitration concerning coverage under a commercial general liability policy for high-stakes underlying business disputes with former investors.
In addition to his work on liability insurance matters, Shaun has extensive experience counseling corporate insureds and litigating over substantial property damage and business interruption claims. He has helped insureds obtain coverage for damage and losses sustained as a result of fires; floods; hurricanes; rainstorms; windstorms; and other natural disasters. Shaun currently leads the representation of a large manufacturer in connection with its pursuit of insurance coverage for losses suffered as a result of Hurricane Harvey.
A frequent author and speaker, Shaun has presented and written on insurance law and related topics on more than 50 occasions. Shaun has spoken and presented at programs sponsored by the American Bar Association, the Association of Corporate Counsel, the Beverly Hills Bar Association, the California Society of Certified Public Accountants, the Los Angeles County Bar Association, the Seminar Group, and the Sports Lawyers Association, among others. His articles have been featured in various publications and trade journals, including Business Insurance Magazine, CFO Magazine, the Daily Journal, Entertainment & Sports Lawyer, Law360, Insurance Journal, the New York Law Journal, Professional Sports and the Law, and the Sports Business Journal. Shaun also is a co-author of the New Appleman Sports and Entertainment Insurance Law & Practice Guide, a book published by LexisNexis.
PUBLICATIONS AND SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
Below is a representative sampling of Shaun’s recent publications and speaking engagements:
- “Those Multi-Million Dollar Employment Law Verdicts: What’s Causing Them; How to Prevent Them; and What Do You Mean There Might Be Coverage for Punitive Damages?,” 2018 Institute for Corporate Counsel, Los Angeles County Bar Association, December 5, 2018
- “Getting the Most Out of Your Liability Insurance Policies,” Association of Corporate Counsel Conference, October 9, 2018
- “Liability Insurance Policies May Cover PAGA Lawsuits,” Law360, August 6, 2018
- “Unreported Claims Do Not Always Jeopardize Coverage,” Law360, March 16, 2018
- “Ruling Shows Breadth of an Insurer’s Duty to Defend Third-Party Claims,” Los Angeles Daily Journal, January 25, 2018
- “Securing and Maximizing Insurance Coverage for ‘Wage and Hour’ and Other Employment-Related Claims,” Hospitality Law Conference, January 11, 2018
- “What Insurers Cover: Contingent Business Interruption Coverage and Wind/Flood Allocations Can Help a Business Maximize Reimbursement for Hurricane-Related Losses,” CFO Magazine, November 6, 2017
- “Insurance Policies and Breach of Contract Exclusions,” Los Angeles Daily Journal, August 11, 2017
- “Getting the Most Out of Your Liability Insurance Policies,” Association of Corporate Counsel Conference, June 8, 2017
- “5 Wage and Hour Suit Coverage tips for Calif. Employers,” Law360, January 30, 2017
- “Equitable Estoppel May Limit Ability to Enforce Policy Conditions,” Los Angeles Daily Journal, September 15, 2016
- “Insured Plaintiffs May Be Entitled to Defense from Their Liability Insurers,” Los Angeles Daily Journal, June 24, 2016
- “Complex Business Interruption Claims Following a Natural Disaster,” California Society of Certified Public Accountants Roundtable, February 24, 2016
- “Litigating Insurance Issues and Bad Faith Claims in the Construction Industry: Bad Faith and Extra Contractual Claims,” The Seminar Group Conference, January 29, 2016
- “Policies Might Actually Cover Wage and Hour Lawsuits,” Los Angeles Daily Journal, September 28, 2015
- “10 Things You Don’t Know About Insurance That Can Hurt You,” Association of Corporate Counsel Southern California Roundtable, June 25, 2014
- “Wrap Up Insurance Challenges for Coverage Attorneys from Implementation Through Completed Operations,” American Bar Association Coverage Litigation Committee CLE Seminar, March 5, 2014
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
Loyola Law School, Los Angeles (J.D., 2008)
University of Southern California (B.A., magna cum laude, 2005)